Senior Leader capitalizing on expertise in strategic planning, innovation, and collaborative leadership within corporate, industrial, association, and government segments.
Strategic visionary who collaborates with stakeholders and professional network to design open-source technologies with practical applications for today that meet or exceed business objectives tomorrow.
- Diplomatic collaborator who’s rebuilt institutional relationships between competing vendors, competing standards groups and the most complex and demanding organizations, like the US Department of Defense.
- Innovator, disrupter, and industry leader who uses advances in market-available solutions for social networking and collaboration, their applications for learning and human capital management, and academic research corroborating their efficacy.
Key Projects & Results
- As a Partner in MakingBetter, worked with [redacted] to create internal/external, scalable learning strategy and technical architecture for rapid, large-scale hiring of specialized workforce. Data strategy was delivered 1 week ahead of schedule, along with detailed Statement of Work (SOW) and Business Requirements documentation for next phase. [Redacted] adopted MakingBetter’s recommendations, partnered with a MOOC platform and launched public industry education effort.
- As Chief Learning Officer for Problem Solutions, strategized 10-year program for United States Department of Defense (DoD), to leverage open-source methods and online community development to engage stakeholders in developing an interoperable approach for learning systems to share data with other systems. Led communications and community development, landing $2.4 million in funding from the Center for National Research Initiatives and releasing Version 1.0 of Experience API (xAPI).
- By going open source, DoD xAPI project also reduced ADL’s internal resource needs 75%, an estimated $23.8 million savings. Launched xAPI 3 years ahead of schedule (compared to SCORM) with only 5 engineers, leveraging Google Sites, Google Groups, WordPress, GitHub and GoToWebinar, increasing DoD client’s capacity for other concurrent projects.
- Served as an Advisor for US Dept. of Education to develop technical proposal for managing metadata and paradata of new Federal Learning Registry, an online, federated index of available educational resources for classroom teachers.
- Designed game-based learning technology and instituted use of GameBoys for picking/packing training, which improved learning transfer by 7% over prior in-person strategy and decreased recidivism 2%. Strategy saved an estimated $948,000 in L&D expenses for W.W. Grainger.
- Led interactive online game development project for the National Football League in Nov. 1999 as Producer for Circle 1 Network. Delivered 3 games to NFL 1 week before Christmas, 1 month ahead of schedule. Contract generated $1.2 million for Circle 1 Network.
DATA INTEROPERABILITY STANDARDS CONSORTIUM (DISC), Narberth, PA; 11/2015 – Present
DISC is a 10-person nonprofit trade organization supporting technical/usability standards for products and standards for professional practices in the learning technology industry.
President / Executive Director
Founded and currently lead professional team of 9, administering a $320,000 budget for this 501(c)(6) not-for-profit. Develop national and international networks to establish standards and practices, creating partnerships with Apereo Foundation, which manages and licenses open-source educational technology software projects. As an expert on experiential learning, career development, technology, and labor represent DISC through leadership roles in professional associations, conference presentations, boards of directors, and news and media outlets.
- Won a $580,000 4-year contract from DoD for applied research and development for learning technology. Led Board of Directors to complete 104-page proposal in 1 week to win contract.
- Cited as Stewards of Learning Technology by the Learning Analytics Community Exchange, which is one of only 7 whole-EU funded programs focusing on learning analytics approaches for all of EU.
- Recognized by England’s Jisc, the body that governs all of UK’s higher education institutions’ learning technologies.
- Established an inclusive Board of Directors with gender parity, international and minority representation to serve as a model for the industry.
MAKINGBETTER, Narberth, PA; 1/2014 – Present
Making Better is a strategic consulting for data-driven learning and human capital management concerns, including research and analysis, purchase recommendations, design, development and implementation of custom enterprise applications and middleware, content, data and reporting strategy.
Deliver consulting services for 40+ firms annually. Conduct 30 workshops and 11 conference events related to xAPI. Manage portfolio of 100+ clients and multiple concurrent projects. Create partnerships to support wider adoption of xAPI as learning technology standard.
- Branded, produced, promoted, and facilitated 11 events to develop market education for xAPI. Secured sponsorships and served 1,400 participants over two years. Created co-branding and licensing programs to expand program reach. Strategy generated an estimated $590,000.
- Published Investigating Performance book and xAPI Quarterly, an online journal, regarded as go-to resources for credible, objective information on xAPI.
- Co-led 77% revenue growth, from $280,000 in 2015 to $640,000 in 2016.
PROBLEM SOLUTIONS LLC, Johnstown, PA; 4/2010 – 1/2014
Consulting service with 100+ employees serving commercial, government and military organizations.
Chief Learning Officer (CLO)
Served as Community Manager for the Advanced Distributed Learning (ADL) Initiative, under Personnel and Readiness within the Office of the Secretary of Defense, US Department of Defense (DoD). Led community development of Experience API (xAPI), an architecture for user/organization-owned activity data, as an open, government-specification project in GitHub, with the largest participation rate of any project from outside of government. Managed government relationships with vendors. Directed learning and development for 15 software engineers. Worked with C-suite to establish benchmarks and revenue-generating partnerships. Collaborated with 6 software engineers, instructional designer, eLearning developers, and LMS administrators. Designed and prototyped multiple mobile and mobile web applications released as open source projects or as white-label components of client projects.
- Led competitive Broad Agency Announcement (BAA) funding $1.1 million for prototyping.
- Landed 5 product development accounts, including Trek (the Learning Experience Manager), which won several industry awards from BrandonHall and the eLearning Guild, yielding roughly $500,000 in new business for Problem Learning.
- Produced 3-day retreat for interaction designers, entrepreneurs, and progressive learning professionals to participate in facilitated activities aimed to generate cross-discipline exchanges. Community held 6 retreats over 5 years with 100 attending. Impact included: books published, 28 people becoming independent consultants, 8 new business, all catalyzed at the events. Collectively, events generated $200,000 in revenue.
W.W. GRAINGER, Chicago, IL; 10/2006 – 4/2010
Technology-based Learning Practice Consultant
- Introduced Yammer to salesforce in order to reach out to dormant accounts adding $2.5 million in new sales revenue in the first three months of the program.
- Eliminated eLearning outsourcing, saving $4.1 million over 4 years at W.W. Grainger by purchasing course authoring tools for Instructional Design team.
- Converted eLearning courses to support SCORM, while consulting for Rustici Software and was chosen to partner directly with Rustici’s clients including financial firms and the US Army.
Education and Training
ITHICA COLLEGE, Ithica, NY
Certificate in Performance Improvement Management; 2008
UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN, Madison, WI
Master of Science, School of Education (Curriculum & Instruction), 5/1999
GPA: 3.9 · Major course work: Educational Communications & Technology
CARDINAL STRITCH UNIVERSITY, Milwaukee, WI
Bachelor of Education, 1995
Additional: Eagle Scout · Fluent in Spanish